Improve Athletic Performance with Ginkgo Biloba
Are you looking for a natural sports nutrition supplements that will help improve your athletic performance? Then consider Ginkgo Biloba!
Ginkgo Biloba is one of the oldest living tree species. The leaves and seeds have been used in Chinese medicine for thousands of years; today ginkgo supplements (derived primarily from the leaves) are used throughout the world as a medication for many health ailments and for general well-being.
Ginkgo leaves contain two types of antioxidants – flavonoids and terpenoids. Antioxidants are substances which can prevent or slow the oxidative damage to our body caused by free radicals. It is believed that the antioxidant activities in combination with other compounds in ginkgo are what give the plant its medicinal qualities.
Studies have shown that ginkgo improves blood circulation throughout the body by dilating blood vessels and reducing the stickiness of blood platelets. While this activity is beneficial to all, it is especially beneficial to athletes because increased blood flow supplies the muscles with the nutrients they need for optimum performance during the “stress” of training or regular exercise. Increased blood flow also helps to reduce fatigue, increases response times and enhances mental clarity.
Additionally, ginkgo biloba has been shown to decrease cortisol levels after stress, including the stress of endurance training and regular exercise. Cortisol is part of our natural stress response and is a catabolic hormone that increases blood pressure and blood sugar, and reduces immune responses. While cortisol is an essential hormone, chronically elevated levels can create a host of problems in the body including the loss of muscle tissue by aiding the process of converting lean tissue into glucose.
The science has demonstrated that ginkgo biloba can provide health benefits to athletes and non-athletes alike. If you are looking for natural ways to increase your athletic performance, consider adding a ginkgo biloba supplement to your daily routine.
Natural Supplements For Bones and Joints
Taking a daily multivitamin is an important part of maintaining healthy bones and joints and should be considered the “baseline” in bone and joint maintenance. Multivitamins include all of the essential vitamins for bone and joint health, such as vitamins A, C, D, B6, B12, and the essential minerals calcium, iron, and magnesium. However, due to diet, lifestyle, injury, genetic history and the general aging process, our bones and joints can use an extra boost to enable optimum health and function. Fortunately, there are natural supplements available that can help provide this additional support! When you are searching for herbal supplements to strengthen and maintain your bones and joints, consider these six natural supplements:
1) Glucosamine: Glucosamine is a natural compound that is found in healthy cartilage. It is an amino acid that the body can use to build new tissue in joints, cartilage, tendons, ligaments and other areas. Everyone produces a certain amount of glucosamine within their bodies, but the amount we produce decreases as we age, making supplementation very important for joint health.
2) Horsetail: Horsetail, also known as bottlebrush plant or shavegrass, contains high amounts of silica. Silica is found in connective tissues and plays several important roles throughout the body including the building and maintenance of connective tissue and bones.
3) Fish oil: Fish oil is rich in omega-3 fatty acids which play several important roles throughout the body. With regard to joint health, omega-3 fatty acids reduce inflammation and are used in treatment for a number of diseases related to inflammation, such as rheumatoid arthritis and other joint-related diseases.
4) Evening primrose oil: Evening primrose oil is extracted from the seeds of the evening primrose plant and is used for multiple health conditions including skin disorders such as eczema, psoriasis, and acne, rheumatoid arthritis, weak bones (osteoporosis), cancer, high cholesterol, and heart disease. The seeds contain essential fatty acids including linoleic acid (LA) and gamma-linolenic acid (GLA); both LA and GLA belong to the omega-6 family of fatty acids. These fatty acids have multiple health benefits including reducing inflammation related to conditions such as arthritis.
5) Curcumin: Extracted from the roots of the curcuma longa plant, Curcumin is the active ingredient of the spice turmeric that gives it a rich yellow color. Curcumin contains polyphenols and curcuminoids that have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-amyloid properties. It has been used since ancient times to treat disorders ranging from arthritis and digestive problems to a variety of skin and wound conditions.
6) Willow Bark: Willow bark has contains compounds that have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and immune boosting properties. It has been used for thousands of years to reduce fever and inflammation; researchers believe that the chemical salicin, found in willow bark, is responsible for these effects.
All of these natural bone and joint supplements are widely available, either as stand-alone supplements or in combination with others. Some combinations of natural supplements are formulated specifically for bone and joint health. As with all bone and joint supplements, be sure to choose a reputable manufacturer to be assured that you are getting the best quality product.